Tuesday 12 July 2011

Kicking Cancer



I see and hear this expression so often and I have to say it's not one of my favourites. You see I didn't "kick" cancer, it kicked me, pretty damn hard as it happens. I haven't beaten anything either and can take absolutely no credit for my current state of wellness. That is down to some serious chemicals, radiation and a little bit of luck. It had nothing whatsoever to do with strength or courage, two qualities that I must admit to having very little of. So please don't tell me that I have been brave, I didn't put my hand up and volunteer for this, I didn't have a choice. Brave people rush in to burning buildings, brave people intervene when they see a child being bullied, brave people become kidney donors; I have done none of these things. It's not that I don't appreciate the sentiment behind those comments, I just don't feel like I deserve them.

Those same well intentioned folk tell me "it's behind you" and it is behind me, like a pantomime villain. It follows me wherever I go, casting it's dark shadow on the sunniest of days. It is my bed fellow at night, it wakes me in the morning, it is always behind me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment