Wednesday 13 June 2012

Fading photographs

I am a lazy blogger, I find it hard to write every day or every second Tuesday in the month but sometimes there are things that I need to write down, things I need to share.
I would like to tell you about Sara.
I met Sara ten years ago or so and if I'm totally honest I was more than a little envious of her. She's beautiful and lives in an enormous country pad with her husband and their dogs. She drives a very flashy sports car, I'm not sure exactly what it is but it exudes elegance as she does. I met her in my "familiar" life as a picture framer and over the years I have shared her memories of dinner parties, holidays and walks in the countryside with her dogs, framing each image of their life.
But Sara has metastatic breast cancer. Her husband came to see me a couple of weeks ago to tell me that her recent round of chemotherapy hadn't worked and despite the great efforts of her team she was dying. They gave her just a few months.
So we have begun to change the glass in these framed photographs for uv glass, to protect them from fading because we can't protect Sara from fading. All we can do is preserve those memories, Sara dancing, Sara laughing, Sara lounging seductively across the bonnet of a Ferrari.
Those memories are so precious and are now safely preserved but I wish that Sara didn't have to leave us.

Sara died before I had finished writing this, quietly and peacefully at home, loved by her husband Paul and all that knew her.



No comments:

Post a Comment